Private Enterprise Number (PEN) Request Template
To request a Private Enterprise Number (PEN), typically used in Simple Network Management Protocol Management Information Base configurations, please complete the application provided below. The required fields are marked with an asterisk (*). Please be aware that the contents of the required fields will be made publicly available along with the assigned PEN in the IANA PEN Registry.
There is no fee for obtaining a PEN assignment. Please allow up to 30 days for processing your application.
Usually, a single PEN is granted per organization. If you are unsure whether your organization has already obtained a PEN, please check the IANA PEN Registry. If your organization has already registered a PEN, please obtain a sub-assignment of that PEN from the registered contact in the PEN Registry.
NOTE: We will send an e-mail to Contact E-Mail requesting confirmation of the information you have submitted. You must respond to this e-mail to continue processing your PEN request. Failure to respond to the confirmation e-mail will result in your application being discarded after one calendar week.
For further information regarding Private Enterprise Numbers, please see the following:
- NETWORK MANAGEMENT PARAMETERS
- RFC 1157, "A Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)"
- RFC 1213, "Management Information Base for Network Management of TCP/IP-based internets: MIB-II"
- Notes regarding the PEN Application Form can be found here. If you have any questions regarding PENs or the PEN Application Form, please contact email@example.com.
PEN Application Form Notes
The following steps outline the process of applying for a PEN:
- Fill out the PEN Application Form specifying (at least) the name of the organization requesting the PEN, the name of the individual who will be responsible for the PEN, and the e-mail address of the individual responsible for the PEN.
- Submit the PEN Application. After hitting the "Submit" button, the e-mail address specified in "Contact E-Mail" will receive a message requesting confirmation. Either click on the URL within that message or reply to the message. If you do not click on the URL within one calendar week, your application will be discarded.
- IANA will review the PEN request and assign as appropriate.
- After IANA assigns the PEN, an e-mail message will be sent to the e-mail address specified in "Contact E-Mail" indicating the assigned PEN is ready for pickup. Clicking on the URL will display the assigned PEN (as well as sending the PEN to the contact's e-mail address). If you do not click on the URL in the e-mail message within one calendar week, your application will be discarded.
- After you receive your PEN, you may wish to check the IANA PEN Registry to verify the PEN assignment contact information is correct.
More information about the fields of the PEN Application Form are described in the following table:
PEN Application Form Fields
|Organization Name||Yes||The name of the organization requesting the PEN. If the organization is a company, it should be the full legal name including "Inc.", "Ltd.", etc.|
|Organization Address||No||The full postal address of the organization requesting the PEN, including state/province, zip/postal code, country, etc.|
|Organization Phone||No||The main telephone number of the organization requesting the PEN, including the country code.|
|Contact Name||Yes||The full name of the individual who will be responsible for the PEN.|
|Contact Address||No||The full postal address of the individual responsible the PEN, including state/province, zip/postal code, country, etc.|
|Contact Phone||No||The telephone number (with extension where appropriate) of the individual responsible for the PEN, including country code.|
|Contact Fax||No||The facsimile number of the individual responsible for the PEN, including the country code.|
|Contact E-Mail||Yes||The e-mail address of the individual responsible for the PEN. This e-mail address will be publicly available in the IANA PEN Registry.|